Do you have questions you'd like to ask your best donors - meaty ones - to get to know them and how they give?
Having answers to these questions will give you clarity which you need to build great relationships - so they give so much more.
So what’s stopping us asking these questions?
We're scared of damaging the relationship and losing the donor.
But depending on the donor - or their mood - asking at the right time can be a game changer to get the clarity you need.
Worth a calculated risk?
You decide. I've found the answer is almost always - definitely.
Here are a few questions for your top donors to get you started. These type of questions aim to get into the kishkes of a donor's heart and mind.
- What’s your story? How did you get to where you are today?
- What do you care about?
- If you had to $10M to give away, how would you go about it?
- What values do you want your grandchildren to have?
The following questions will clarify where you stand in relation to the donors giving.
Word of caution here. Before you ask - it's a good idea to ask the donor's permission to ask such questions.
You could say ‘would you allow me to be bit chutzpadik with you?’ Once you get the go ahead, then you’re free to ask.
- What led you to support your biggest organizations?
- What would I need to do to become an organization that receives a five/six figure donor from you?
- What would it take to get you to make intros to your connections?
- What is most important to you in relationships with people in my position?
- What can I do better for you to consider giving us more of your charitable giving?
When you get answers, write them down later. They will be your guide in developing your relationship with the donor.
Have a great fundraising week.