Shavua Tov, A Gut Voch,
When someone gives you the name of a person that has gazillions of $$$, what should you do first?
First things first, you need to find out a bit more about the person. Do they really give large amounts to charity?
If they do, how can you know if they would be interested in giving to yours?
It’s a good idea to do a ‘Quick Qualify’
Five minutes or so is all you need. This will clarify if you should go for it or not. Putting effort into a non-opportunity can be a big waste of time.
Ask the person who made the referral, do you have some examples of their charitable giving. How much does he give? To which organizations?
You should be looking to uncover four things;
I’ve developed a simple tool to allow you to qualify prospects.
It’s called ‘THE PROSPECT QUALIFIER™
It allows you to score prospects, which helps avoid wasting time with people who are most likely to be non-givers to your cause.
THE PROSPECT QUALIFIER™ is especially useful when you have a number of prospects, since you can prioritize who you spend most of your effort and time with.
Proper qualifying will give you more confidence in your efforts. Just because a donor seems ideal on paper, doesn’t always mean he is always worth your focus.
And, on the flip side, donors who don't seem like a perfect fit at first glance, may very well be a great fit for an organization like yours.
How does the THE PROSPECT QUALIFIER™ work?
We care about four attributes with each prospect.
- The prospect’s ABILITY
- The prospect’s INTEREST
- Your CONNECTEDNESS
- The TIMING
You're going to give each prospect a score for these four attributes.
Take your first prospect and using the data you gathered with your 'Quick Qualify' go through the following qualifying questions.
ABILITY - What's the giving ability of this prospect?
- No clarity - 0 points
- Prospect is generous, but unclear how he gives (e.g large amounts to a few charities or smaller amounts to many charities.) - 3 points
- Research has shown prospect gives at the $$ levels you are looking for - 10 points
INTEREST - Does the prospect like supporting your type of project?
- No clarity - 0 points
- Some interest in your type of project - 3 points
- His main giving interest is projects like yours - 10 points
CONNECTEDNESS - Do you know someone who is connected to the prospect?
- No one - 0 points
- Someone who is somewhat connected - 5 points
- Someone who is strongly connected to prospect - 10 points
TIMING - Is this a good time for the prospect to give?
- It’s a bad time - 0 points
- No clarity whether this is a good time - 2 points
- You have information that shows it's a good time - 5 points
THE PROSPECT QUALIFIER™Scorecard
Give TPQ a try with one of your prospects and then let's see how they scored.
- 10 points or less - Delete Prospect - If you have better prospects in your pipeline, then delete this one or don't move on it until you get more clarity.
- 22+ points - Great Prospect - Worth prioritizing your focus and energy with this prospect.
Enjoy the tool. B'Hatzlacha Raba,
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!