Reb Danny Wolfe, founder of JewPro in Denver, received this response to an email he sent to his donors last week.

'Danny - thank you for sharing this with me. I LOVE what you are doing!!
You and your team are the ones who deserve the thank you for this!
With gratitude, Barry'

This was just one of a whole bunch of replies thanking him for his update and praising him for his efforts. His emails always get a great response.

How does he get his donors saying 'I LOVE what you are doing' and 'you and your team are the one's who deserve the thank you'?

The litmus test I use for great donor communications is if your donors respond thanking you for emailing them!

Even a 10% response rate means you're doing an awesome job. It reflects that the other 90% feel the same way.

How does Reb Danny raise the interest level of his donors so they're engaged in what he does and are inspired to respond in such a way?

The funny thing is, if you want to get responses like this, you don't need to be a great writer. What you do need is to follow a simple formula that will touch your donors hearts and minds.

The simple formula which is often thrown about in the fundraising world is called being 'Donor Centric.'

Being Donor Centric means to communicate your success as the donor's success. And to mean it when you say it!

How do you become Donor Centric?

Start by turning the tables and see what your donors would want to hear from you. How would they want you to relate to them and their giving?

The key to making this transition is to communicate in a way that makes primary, the connection between your donor and your success - Then you've succeeded at being 'Donor Centric.'

If you were to look inside the mind of your donor, here are some examples of what he wants to you to be telling him.

- "Share with me what you've achieved with my money?"

- "Explain how because of my support, you were able to make a difference?"

- "Let me know why I made the right decision to support you?"

- "When we speak, let me know that you understand why I give and what I care about."

- "Let me feel, through my support, that I am part of something greater than myself."

- "Know my values and show me that you’re putting my values into action."

- "Make me feel appreciated for what I've helped you do"

If you noticed, this list was completely centered around the donor.

To communicate in a donor centric way, we need to use the word 'You' and 'Your' much more. And use the word 'I' and 'We' much less.

Here's the actual email that Reb Danny sent. It's just 400 words, written in less than 60 minutes. But it got such a high response rate and scored a 10 out of 10 in successful donor updates because it followed the rules of donor centricity.

It's a great example of something you can also do quickly and make your donors feel connected to what you are doing. And to you. That means happy donors!!! Who will give again and again.

Add some more donor centricity in your conversations and communications this week and let me know how you get on.

B'Hatzlacha Raba Raba,

Avraham

All Posts
×

Almost done…

We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!

OK